Criminal Justice Responses to Maternal Filicide
My first sole-authored book was published in September 2021: Criminal Justice Responses to Maternal Filicide: Judging the Failed Mother (Emerald Publishing Limited). The book analyses the conviction outcomes of 15 criminal cases of suspected newborn child killing by mothers in England and Wales between 2010 and 2019.
This contemporary study makes a novel contribution to the fields of law, criminology and gender studies, arguing that through its inability to recognise the vulnerable position of accused women, and respond accordingly, the application of law reflects wider social judgments of pregnant women and mothers who challenge (or fail to fulfil) ideals of motherhood. Find out more about the book.
Sex & Crime
With colleagues from the School of Law & Criminology at the University of Greenwich, I embarked on the mammoth task of producing a student textbook that brings together key issues relating to sex, sexuality, and crime. Sex & Crime provides a comprehensive account of the myriad ways that sex and crime interact in contemporary social life, sensitively confronting topics such as nationhood, abortion, child sexual exploitation, war, disability, pornography, and digital cultures.
Women and Criminal Justice System
In 2018, I co-edited the book Women and the Criminal Justice System: Failing Victims and Offenders? with colleagues from the University of Essex. The book originated in papers presented at our conference Women and the Criminal Justice System – Past, Present and Future, held at the Royal Statistical Society in 2016.
This collection of essays argues that the criminal justice system is failing women and girls. It presents original and accessible research on how to prioritise the necessary changes to the treatment of women within the criminal justice system. The topics covered include domestic violence, rape reporting, neonaticide, probation, and women in prison.
- Milne E (2020) Putting the Fetus First — Legal Regulation, Motherhood, and Pregnancy. Michigan Journal of Gender & Law. 27(1): 149-211.
- Thom B, Herring, R and Milne E (2020) Drinking in Pregnancy: Shifting Towards the ‘Precautionary Principle’. In Susanne MacGregor and Betsy Thom (eds.) Alcohol, Drugs and Risk: Framing Dangerous Classes and Dangerous Spaces: Historical and Cross-Cultural Perspectives. Routledge. 66-87.
- Milne E (2019) Concealment of Birth: Time to Repeal a 200-year-old “Convenient Stop-Gap”? Feminist Legal Studies. 27(2): 139-62.
- Brennan K and Milne E (2018) Criminalising Neonaticide: Reflections on Law and Practice in England and Wales. In Milne E, South N, Brennan K and Turton J. (eds.) Women and the Criminal Justice System: Failing Victims and Offenders? London: Palgrave. 95-117.
- Milne E and Turton J (2018) Understanding Violent Women. In Milne E, South N, Brennan K and Turton J. (eds.) Women and the Criminal Justice System: Failing Victims and Offenders? London: Palgrave. 119-139.